For every Pennsylvania business, having hard-working employees who are committed to the company mission is an imperative part of effective organizational processes. Without talented employees, businesses simply cannot thrive and succeed. Part of a company’s efforts to maintain an effective team of workers is creating an environment that is conducive to productivity. Perhaps the most important step in this process is eliminating hazards and keeping the environment clean and well-maintained to avoid unnecessary injuries from happening.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly $70 billion in medical costs and workers’ compensation payouts are attributed to occupational falls every year in the nation. Workers who are employed in the maintenance, healthcare, transportation and construction industries are at a considerably higher risk of suffering an injury as the result of a slip, trip or fall.
Fortunately, there are things that businesses can do to better protect their employees and create a hazard-free environment. According to Safety and Health Magazine, some of the things they can do include the following:
- They can keep working areas well-lit.
- They can provide trainings about the importance of wearing proper safety equipment and shoes.
- They can see that spills and other hazards are cleaned and removed immediately.
- They can keep floors well-maintained and install abrasive mats to reduce the risk of falling.
- They can fully secure or even cover cords that are in walkways.
It is also critical that workers pay attention to their surroundings and practice responsibility at all times to better protect themselves and recognize potential hazards before it is too late.